Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday 05/16/10

A pretty good week for training.

Monday was to be a day off, but I went to a 2 hour spin class. These workouts really seem to be helping my endurance. I felt strong on Monday and I was soaking wet when the class was all said and done.

Tuesday AM was a swim and a long swim at that. 4250 total yds between the warm up, work out, and cool down. Now my event is 2.4 miles which is only 4224 yds. Yes, that is correct, I swam 26 yds more than my event distance. It made for a long morning but the swim went well.
Tuesday PM, I met Mentor Michelle over at the base of Mount Diablo for an evening climb. Took just under an hour to get from the soccer field on Blackhawk Drive to the junction. But then the fun begins and I get to go downhill for a long time. I love descending.

Wed was to be a run only. I decided to do Thursday's brick workout instead. I started with an hour spin class and then went for a quick 2 mile run. Both went well. My plan was to make up today's run on Friday and do Friday's swim on Thursday, but more on that soon.

Thursday was another swim. Not as long as Tuesday's, but still pretty lengthy. 3800 yds later, it felt long enough.

Friday, I was to make up the run. Well, work happened on Thursday (nice excuse) and surprise, the run did not happen. What a shocker!!!!

Saturday, we were back in Sonoma County for an 80 mile Bike around the Vineman course. My bike fit felt better on Tuesday, but still not right. On this day, it was about the same. I did not have any pains, back, butt, or foot. Coach Dave led us out and kept us at a reasonable pace for the first 15 miles. After that, it was hammer time, I mean, race speed time. I felt strong all day. I had, what I would call, my best day on a bike so far. I felt strong throughout. I kept up with my Carbo-Pro/gatorade mixture and drank 1 bottle per hour (336+ cal./bottle) I could have used a fifth bottle, but unfortunately, I only packed 4 total. Note to self, pack 1 more than you think you will need. I will probably need 7 on event day.
I felt great was the ride was done and again, I did a quick brick, and went for a 2 mile run. This was not on the schedule but I thought the extra running would help me. Also, if I run on Saturday, I can rationalize Sunday.

Sunday was an Open water swim and run, but the American Motorcycle Association was racing at Infineon Speedway and I wanted to go see the races. Not a bad way to spend the day. I got up early, dusted off my motorcycle, rode up to the races, and watched men (and women)do crazy things at very fast speeds.
Those racers make training for an Ironman seem sane.....

No comments:

Post a Comment