Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday 04/25/10

This week was known as a recovery week. We go through three tough weeks followed by one easier week. I was looking forward to an easier week. Monday was the usual day off.

Tuesday was a swim marker. I did the usual warm up of 1000 yds and then did my 2000 yd marker. I finished in 37 minutes 16 seconds. That would work out to a 79 minute 2.4 mile Ironman. I would not be disappointed with that time. I think I can improve on that time over the next few months but we will see.

Wednesday was a spin workout. The usual, no excitement.

Thursday was another swim. This morning did not go as well as I would have liked. I just did not feel great. I did the usual warm-up and then started to do the marker again. I just wasn't feeling it. I eventually decided that I was going to run at night instead. That evening I went for a 6 mile run. I felt OK during the run.

Friday was an Athlete's Choice day and I choose to do Nuttin'. A day of relaxation.

Saturday was an open water swim in the bay. Yep, the San Francisco Bay. I met my teammates at the Aquatic Park and we were in the water by 8:30 AM. When I first got in the water, the cold freaked me out a bit. I was having a hard time relaxing with the water in my face being so cold. I finally got my face in and kept it in the water long enough to numb up, so I could relax. We were to swim for 60 minutes, as far as we could. I did 3 laps around Aquatic Park. Exact distance cannot be determined, but it was about 2 miles. After the initial shock, I felt pretty comfortable and relaxed. My swimming has improved dramatically over the last 5 months. We finished our day with 30 minutes of core and stretching on the beach. Not a bad way to start a Saturday.

Sunday was another short workout. We met at Heather Farms for the Brenda Donato 5 K Race. I met my teammates early for a 5K warm-up. I ran out with Jim, BK, Coach Dave, Phil, Sara and Nic. This was just supposed to be a warm-up. Maybe for those guys, but not so much for me. We ran the 5K in 28 min. 30 Secs. Not flying, but not slow and easy. After about 20 minutes, the actual race was to begin. Off we went, I felt pretty good for most of it, but felt I had gone out too hard between the warm-up and the first 2 miles. I faded in the end but completed the marker in 26 min. 18 secs. I will forward that time to Coach Simon to see where I am, but I have a pretty good idea. I need to run more often!!!

We got together this afternoon over at Coach Dave's house for our honoree potluck. Lots of food, drink and conversation. It was a good way to end the week of recovery workouts.

After a day off tomorrow, we are back at it full tilt....

No comments:

Post a Comment